Wednesday 10 April 2013

"meal deal or no deal?"..."no deal"



I'm blaming it on the weather. I'm British... I have every right to blame anything and everything I want on the weather. The drear and gloominess of late aka forever, has made me even more lazy than ever before and I can't summon the energy to do much at all at the moment; be it from putting my pyjama bottoms straight over my tights when I get home because it's long to take them off to not even wanting to finish a sentence. However, my laziness came round to bite me on my arse at around 8.40am this morning.

Living only an 8 minute train ride to Liverpool Street station, a 10 minute walk to work in Monument, and a quick stop off at the Sainsbury's local en route, I have recently been finding this journey both annoying and quite traumatic. Traumatic might be a bit strong but weaving in and out of an angry, militant, and marching fleet of suits every morning, avoiding briefcase bashes and cigarette burns can take its toll. So anyway, this morning I thought I'd switch things up. Stick it to the proverbial man in the suit and instead take the four stops bus journey from the station to work instead and for added bonus points, venture into the huge Tesco en route to pick up my lunch. MISTAKE.

Walking in, once again through a heaving wave of banker wankers, you have to walk past the greasy chicken wing/ cheese and onion pasty/curry aisle to get to the lunch section. It's exactly what you want to see, smell, and embrace all before 9am. I was thinking meal deal, seeing as I was missing my usual dip into Sainsbury's and so I thought I'd see what it's competitors had to offer. The selection looked bright from the off with its shelf upon shelf of sandwiches, rolls, wraps and salads. But I was to be quickly disappointed. In amongst it all were the Tesco's 'Finest' sandwich selection and I clocked quite a few corkers... there was the New York pastrami number, the Mexican chicken special with guacamole, the caviar and truffles (ok, maybe not the last one)...but much to my dismay, these weren't even included in the meal deal offer. Sorry...but seriously? I'm used to Sainsburys' spread of 'Taste the Difference' sarnies with salt beef, brie and cranberry and probably caviar and truffles sandwiches to sort me out! But no, not this time. This time, I got lumbered with a beaten up, cheese and ham (not entirely sure rubber constitutes as ham) sandwich squashed into a dog eared, damp card board package. Gross. To top it all off, you were allowed a choice of a mere three chocolate bars: a Kit Kat (I hate wafer), Wispa (Really? Do people still buy Wispas?) and a Snickers (my favourite all round....but they were sold out). CHEERS. Course they were. Picking up the Wispa, I walked over to the drinks and decided on a (luke warm) bottle of Coke. At this point and to my gut wrenching realisation that I had made a terrible mistake, I couldn't help but think that Saino's really had got it spot on. They give you the option to pick the smaller sized bottle, the little "I'm the perfectly sized bottle for lunch" option. But not Tesco. No. Not unthoughtful and inconsiderate Tesco.

Let down, disappointed, and now running 10 minutes late due to disbelief and trauma, I quickly paid and left immediately to a waiting and unbelievably rammed number 48 bus. Pushed up against the window and trapped in between an over packed rucksack and an awkwardly positioned buggy, I began to majorly regret my journey cop out short cut. I realised I should have just sucked it up and done the 15 minute walk to work, despite the early doors feeling of tiredness and laziness. It's healthier and really can count as my exercise for the day. And more importantly, I shouldn't have switched supermarket teams and missed out on my trusty dip into Sainsbury's for an undoubted lunching feast.

After posting on Twitter, the lovely guys at Saino's tweeted me their appreciation!

No comments:

Post a Comment